Shohei Ohtani Archives - Digital Sports Desk https://digitalsportsdesk.com/tag/shohei-ohtani/ Online Destination for the Best in Boston Sports Tue, 04 Aug 2026 00:52:25 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://digitalsportsdesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/IMG_0364-2-150x150.jpg Shohei Ohtani Archives - Digital Sports Desk https://digitalsportsdesk.com/tag/shohei-ohtani/ 32 32 Sox vs. Shohei Ohtani https://digitalsportsdesk.com/sox-vs-shohei-ohtani/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=sox-vs-shohei-ohtani Fri, 31 Jul 2026 14:00:39 +0000 https://digitalsportsdesk.com/?p=9828 Ohtani has been dealing with a sore left knee and some right biceps tightness

The post Sox vs. Shohei Ohtani appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>

LOS ANGELES – (Staff and Wire Service Report) – After Shohei Ohtani received an unexpected day off, the Los Angeles Dodgers are expected to have their star back at the top of the order to open a three-game series against the visiting Boston Red Sox tonight.

Ohtani has been dealing with a sore left knee and some right biceps tightness of late, which has forced him out of the rotation since the return from the All-Star break, but not from the designated hitter spot until Thursday.

After a recent run of five hits in seven at-bats, including three extra-base hits, Ohtani went in for treatment on his knee late Wednesday and was given some downtime.

“The last couple days he’s been on base a lot more, so I think that’s been a good thing in one sense whereas the last part of the (recent) road trip he wasn’t,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “So there might have been a little something to that.”

Ohtani received an injection in the knee during the All-Star break and had been making progress with the injury, according to Roberts.

With Tommy Edman in the leadoff spot Thursday, and Teoscar Hernandez serving as the designated hitter, the Dodgers earned a 6-2 victory over the Mariners to take two of the three games in the series. Hernandez hit his first home run since July 3, while Dalton Rushing added a three-run shot.

With Ohtani out of the mix in a six-man rotation, Roberts has resorted to bullpen games on occasion, with another one set for Friday. Right-hander Edgardo Henriquez (4-1, 2.79 ERA) is set to pitch the opening inning.

The Red Sox have a trio of left-handers lined up to face the Dodgers over the weekend, with Ranger Suarez (4-3, 3.02) set to take the ball in the series opener.

Suarez returned from the injured list Sunday, after recovering from a left groin strain and an illness, then delivered four scoreless innings in an eventual victory over the Toronto Blue Jays.

“The first couple innings, I was kind of nervous, because I didn’t know how I was going to feel,” Suarez said. “After that, I felt pretty good.”

Suarez gave up four hits with six strikeouts and threw 64 pitches.

“(For) three weeks I never stopped throwing,” Suarez said. “I wasn’t surprised I had my command.”

In eight career appearances (five starts) against the Dodgers, Suarez is 3-2 with 3.64 ERA.

Boston arrived at Los Angeles after rallying for a 5-4 road victory over the Athletics on Thursday with back-to-back home runs in the eighth inning from Wilyer Abreu and Willson Contreras.

The Red Sox improved to 20-3 since July 3 and 25-5 since June 25 when they entered the day with a 32-46 record.

In the midst of his own rough season, Boston’s Jarren Duran appeared to question why Contreras did not tag up from third base on his fly ball in the sixth inning. He gestured back toward the infield as he returned to the dugout. After the game, Duran downplayed the incident.

“That’s nothing. It’s something that, within the team, that we have, that we work on, and it’s nothing,” Duran told reporters. “Like, you guys don’t need to know. Nobody needs to know. That’s something between us and the team that we know (what) it’s about. That doesn’t really matter.”

–Field Level Media

The post Sox vs. Shohei Ohtani appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>
MLB MVPs: Ohtani Wins, Raleigh Snubbed https://digitalsportsdesk.com/mlb-mvp/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mlb-mvp Fri, 14 Nov 2025 06:30:51 +0000 https://digitalsportsdesk.com/?p=8526 Ohtani earned his latest honor after piling up a career-high 55 homers, a majors-best 146 runs

The post MLB MVPs: Ohtani Wins, Raleigh Snubbed appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>

NEW YORK – (Staff and Wire Service Report) – While Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Dodgers had his greatness reconfirmed, Cal Raleigh of the Seattle Mariners learned not even the greatest season by a catcher in Major League Baseball history could stop New York Yankees great Aaron Judge from adding another Most Valuable Player award to his trophy case.

Minutes after Ohtani secured his third consecutive MVP award and fourth in the last five years — leaving him just three shy of Barry Bonds for the most in MLB history — Judge was announced as the American League’s MVP in a close vote with Raleigh on Thursday night.

Ohtani and Judge became the first duo to win the Most Valuable Player Award in the same back-to-back seasons.

The New York Yankees outfielder secured 17 of a possible 30 first-place votes and 355 points. The Seattle Mariners catcher claimed the other 13 first-place votes and finished with 335 points.

In the end, the Baseball Writers’ Association of America voters determined that Judge’s MLB-leading batting average (.331), on-base percentage (.457) and slugging percentage (.688) outweighed Raleigh’s AL-best 60 homers and 125 RBIs.

Embed from Getty Images

“It’s pretty wild,” Judge said. “You try not to think about it during the season. I try to keep my head down through all 162 and do whatever I can in today’s game to help our team win.”

For the 33-year-old Judge, it marks his third MVP award. That puts him in an exclusive neighborhood with the likes of Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial, Mike Trout and a handful of others — but Ohtani no longer resides there.

The 31-year-old Japan native received all 30 first-place votes for the National League MVP.

Ohtani earned his latest honor after piling up a career-high 55 homers, a majors-best 146 runs and an NL-high a .622 slugging percentage and 1.014 OPS in 158 games.

He also returned to the mound after taking 18 months off and forged a 1-1 record with a 2.87 ERA in 14 starts. He registered 62 strikeouts versus just nine walks over 47 innings.

“It was a great year,” Ohtani said on MLB Network via translator. “Like I said, I’m grateful to my teammates, the coaching staff … but not only them. The fans were the ones who really rooted us on and supported us.”

Embed from Getty Images

Ohtani added eight home runs in 17 postseason games while leading the Dodgers to their second consecutive World Series title, though his playoff exploits did not factor into the BBWAA voting.

Philadelphia Phillies designated hitter Kyle Schwarber, who produced a league-high 56 homers and 132 RBIs while playing in all 162 games, finished second in the balloting. He was followed by New York Mets outfielder Juan Soto (43 homers, 38 stolen bases), Arizona Diamondbacks shortstop Geraldo Perdomo (.290 average, 20 homers, 100 RBIs, 27 steals) and Phillies shortstop Trea Turner (league-leading .304 average with 36 steals).

In the American League, Cleveland Guardians third baseman Jose Ramirez (30 homers, 44 steals) finished a distant third.

Kansas City Royals shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. (23 homers, 38 steals) and Detroit Tigers starter Tarik Skubal, who claimed his second consecutive Cy Young Award with a 13-6 record and 2.21 ERA, rounded out the top five.

–Field Level Media

The post MLB MVPs: Ohtani Wins, Raleigh Snubbed appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>
Ohtani 50/50 Ball to Auction https://digitalsportsdesk.com/ohtani-50-50-ball-to-auction/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ohtani-50-50-ball-to-auction Tue, 08 Oct 2024 07:00:02 +0000 https://digitalsportsdesk.com/?p=6715 The record price for a baseball is $3 million, which was paid for the ball Mark McGwire hit for his 70th homer in 1998.

The post Ohtani 50/50 Ball to Auction appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>

RUNNEMEDE, NJ – (Staff and Wire service Report) – The owner of the ball that Shohei Ohtani hit for his historic 50th homer of the year remains in dispute, but the souvenir will continue to be auctioned off while legal proceedings continue.

Goldin Auctions announced Monday that the lawyers for the fans who are arguing over the ball’s rightful owner agreed to let the auction continue. With another two weeks to go in the auction, the latest top bid was $1.5 million, which would see the buyer owing more than $1.8 million when the auction house’s fee is included.

Embed from Getty Images

The ball has significant value because of its place in baseball history: When that ball cleared the fence in Miami on Sept. 19, Ohtani became the first player ever to amass 50 homers and 50 stolen bases in the same year. The Los Angeles Dodgers star ended the season with 54 homers and 59 steals.

After the ball landed in the left field stands, Chris Belanski wound up with it, and he is the one who initiated the auction. However, two other fans, Max Matus and Joseph Davidov, subsequently filed separate lawsuits alleging that they had possession of the ball before it was taken from them.

Davidov’s attorney, Devon Workman, told Front Office Sports on Monday, “Parties have agreed to let the sale proceed and then the parties will continue to litigate over ownership over the final proceeds of the sale.”

Goldin said in a statement, according to ESPN, that “all parties want the 50/50 ball to be auctioned by Goldin, and have agreed to convey any and all of their ownership interests in the 50/50 ball to the winner of the auction, giving the winner full assurance that they will receive free and clear title to the 50/50 ball.”

The record price for a baseball is $3 million, which was paid for the ball Mark McGwire hit for his 70th homer in 1998.

–Field Level Media

The post Ohtani 50/50 Ball to Auction appeared first on Digital Sports Desk.

]]>